Sunday, April 1, 2012

Bogus Apps

I had a really good one earlier but completely forgot what it was.  I will probably remember about halfway through but what can you do.  I do have one that kind of bugged me yesterday.  I has to do with the way in which some companies are funneling you to their site just for the ad revenue.


There is a small local paper that occasionally has something that the big paper doesn't.  We like to look through for that reason but they won't deliver to any houses in the area.  They deliver to a local grocery store just a few miles away but won't deliver to any house, even those right next to the store.  So in the foyer of the apartment building where my mother moved yesterday there was a new copy of this paper.  I picked it up to look through it.  On the front page at the top there was a QR code and it said to scan this to download the app.  I was a little excited as it would allow me to easily read the articles that we have been missing (keep in mind that I have an Android based phone with this).  I'm not sure if the app is only for the iPhone or if it is just a hoax but the scan took me to their website.  Didn't take me to the Google Play Store or try to take me to Apple's App Store, the website.  I would have actually been happy if it stated that it would take me to their website but it didn't.  I don't think I would have minded if it said that scanning the code would take an iOS device to the App Store to download the app and an Android device to the website.  State the facts, you are a newspaper that is in the business of stating facts!  Get this one right as it is your own fact!

Why is it that everyone seems to think that they need an app?  In the case of a newspaper, if their mobile version of the website is laid out well, it would be better than having an app.  Having an app means that you need to have an additional programming team or pay an additional consulting firm.  More than likely you already have a team or firm that handles your website (which every company should have).  It shouldn't cost much more to develop a site that is optimized for viewing on a mobile device.  Perhaps some things are better done that way but I don't think it is necessary for a newspaper.

No comments:

Post a Comment