Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Hands Free Device

I had this whole thing about the fragmentation thing with Android but realized it wasn't really a rant, more along the lines of a statement than anything else.  So I am going to draw on something that is really bugging me that I saw a couple of times today.



In New York, and many other states, there is a law stating that you need to use some kind of hands free device while you are driving and talking on the phone.  I find it really annoying seeing people not using one of these devices!  There is a reason the law was enacted, it is safer because both of your hands are free to control your vehicle.  But what really gets me is that people seem to think that if they hold their phone in their hand but not up to their ear it is hands free.  That's right, they are using the speaker phone feature because they are too cheap to buy a headset.  The corded ones are less than $10 people!


But I think what irks me more than that is the fact that it is legal for a police officer to use a cell phone while driving without the use of a hands free device.  Last time I checked they were on the road more than most people.  They drive more miles than just about anyone and a lot of those miles are not in the best of conditions (at least in central New York).  The justification is that they get more training than most other people.  I don't think training can really help in a black ice situation where you need both hands to control the vehicle.  Just another example of how some people are treated differently than others.

No comments:

Post a Comment