Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Generic Drugs and Phone Locking

I managed to catch a couple of stories in the news tonight and I can't pass on either of them because they are that good.  And since the political season is probably going to start taking off (now that there is a clear leader in the Republican camp) I am thinking that I may have to do some doubles.



So the first story caught me by complete surprise.  It probably isn't the way that you will think at first but I will explain.  The story had to do with a study that was done that proved generic prescription drugs saved money.  My surprise was really at that fact that they were surprised by the results.  My annoyance is at the fact that our government, with it's growing debt, funded a study to prove that purchasing something that costs less money will save you money.  Who would have thought that to be the case?  It sounds to me like a bunch of rich people who never had to watch their purchases.  When I was a kid we would constantly be eating things that were generic because they tasted the same as the national brands but cost less than half as much.  So why do these morons think it would be any different with regards to prescription medication.  I guess it is a little different because the generic foods that you can buy aren't nearly as regulated as the prescription medications that you take.  Huh, silly me has just shown how the government has wasted even more money on something that is common sense.  So how much do you think the study cost just to prove that over a 10 year period Americans saved $21 trillion using generics?  My guess is that it cost a lot more than it did to just listen to my father teach me that generics are usually just as good as the national brand.


The second shows me that there is a real slow period in politics right now.  They are trying to pass a bill to allow a carrier to permanently lock your smartphone if you report it stolen.  I get that it would make it better for the carriers to have a law backing them on this but the problem is again the way in which the story was presented.  I have a smartphone and I am one of those that believes the $7 per month for insurance on it is a good thing.  Part of that insurance is to cover things like theft.  And, at least for Android, there are a lot of apps out there that will allow you to lock your phone with a text message.  I have one that will not only allow me to lock the phone via a text message but it will also allow me to sound an alarm on the phone and even turn on the GPS so I can track it.  Though I'm not sure about the one that I have but there are some that can even wipe the data off the phone as well.  Mine can do many of these things with a special text message but it also works via a web based app.  I don't need a law that will allow the carrier to do this, I can do this myself.  I think it is just another political move to "show that the other party isn't in touch with their constituents."  In other words, it is a load of crap just to get you to pay attention to them.  So my suggestion is to just ignore them and get an app.  Even if you have to pay for it, you will have better piece of mind than the carriers can give you.

No comments:

Post a Comment