Thursday, April 26, 2012

Immigration Law in Arizona

I found a story while browsing today that I believe I heard a little about on last nights news.  As soon as I started reading it I had a couple of thoughts, first was that I recalled wanting to complain about it but I didn't catch enough of the story to do a good one.  Second was why are these people complaining about a state making a stronger law than the federal law?  It happens all the time!



As you may have guessed, it is about Arizona creating a more strict law regarding illegal immigration than the federal government and the Supreme Court reviewing the case.  Let us begin with the way I see things regarding states rights regarding law, keeping in mind that I am not a lawyer nor do I have any education regarding law.  I believe that the states have the right to make a law that is stricter than the federal law but not weaker since it overrides the federal law.  And that is just what Arizona is doing.  They aren't trying to make the law weaker, they have a problem with illegal immigrants and want to do something about it.  I do admit that it could lead to some profiling but that is something for the supervisors within law enforcement to prevent.  The way I see it is there is only one set of losers here, the illegal immigrants.


But I am apparently wrong according to some.  That's right, there is a group of people that claim these illegal immigrants are doing work that no Americans would do.  I agree with them in that not many Americans would do the work.  Where I disagree with them is in the fact that no Americans would do the work.  I'm sure they would but not for the wages that they are used to paying.  Having the illegal immigrants do the job means they can pay much less than the minimum wage and they don't need to report it to the IRS, which means less paperwork for them.


I get that it saves them money and makes something that is low in profits a little better but there are problems.  Let's start with the fact that they are taking jobs that could be there for Americans.  These farmers need to do the right thing and offer a fair wage based on the minimum for the state they live in.  But if they are having issues getting Americans to do the job, they can hire workers that are legal migrant workers.  This provides a benefit for all Americans.  How you may ask?  Taxes.  These legal migrant workers pay taxes and while they are here they can apply for true citizenship.  How do they help the farmers?  I believe they can be paid a wage that is less than the minimum wage.  But even if they can't, the farmer is still going to benefit by knowing that he is doing the right thing by hiring someone legally that will have to pay taxes.

No comments:

Post a Comment