Friday, April 6, 2012

Me First

Just what I think is going to be a quick one tonight but we all know how that works out.  I think the last "quick one" was one of the longer ones I've done.  Tonight has more to do with driving habits of people and how it effects the next generation of drivers.  Just some observations of course!



I live about 8 or 9 miles from the on ramps for Interstate 81.  It is one of the major north south routes in the state but for me it is the fastest and most direct route to Syracuse.  It is also the closest place to do some shopping for a decent buck (got to love those supercenters).  But what gets me is that when you leave the local hamlet (used to be a village but they dissolved it to save money) you pass the school where the speed limit is 35 MPH.  Every morning I get passed by at least one car as soon as I get past the entrance to the school.  What gets me is that they insist on passing me but once we get to the 55 MPH zone they don't drive any faster than I do.  What is the point?


I have done some informal testing with regards to speeding.  I used to work between 35 and 40 miles away from home.  It would take roughly 40 minutes to get there when I drove the speed limit all the way.  Just to see how much time I could save by speeding I went an entire week driving 5 MPH over the speed limit all the way there.  The funny thing was that it averaged to less than 3 minutes of savings!  Again, I did this for an entire week so that it could take into account other drivers and traffic lights so I feel comfortable with the numbers being accurate.  So why speed, cut people off, or pass them when they are driving the speed limit?  The excuse that most say is that they like to sleep in.  Really?  How much does that additional 2 minutes help?  Do you not realize that once you have started getting up the additional 5 minutes earlier your body will get used to it and you won't miss that 5 minutes?  Give it a try for a month.  You could potentially save yourself hundreds by not getting a ticket, not to mention the increased premiums on your insurance.


If that financial thing isn't enough to sway you into slowing down, try this one.  My father used to always ask what kind of message will you send to your kids by speeding?  Let me answer that for you.  You will be telling them - in words - not to break the law because it is wrong.  In actions you will be telling them that it is ok to break the law when it is convenient for you to do so because you are lazy.  The other thing that he would always mention with regards to driving on roads where houses are was that there were pets and kids in the area.  He wanted to drive a safe speed in case one of them ran out in the road.  That part is what got me to start the slowing down process.  I didn't want to be responsible for that if I could avoid it!


But that brings up another point.  You see all of the stories on the news where people are complaining about how fast a car is driving past their house and that the speed limit needs to be reduced.  The problem is that these people only want the limit to be reduced past their house.  Once they are beyond their own property they ignore it.


The last thing I will talk about tonight that I can't stand are the morons that feel the need to pull out in front of you from a side road.  I'm not talking about those that do it while giving you plenty of time to slow down to avoid hitting them.  I'm talking about those that pull out in front of you at the very last second when there isn't anyone behind you for a half mile!  And the worst are the ones that do that then turn left a few hundred feet down the road!  It is all about being in front.  Everyone, just about, wants and needs to be in front and it is the biggest reason that there are so many accidents.


I told you it wouldn't end up being short!  Oh well, hope you enjoyed it...

1 comment:

  1. Good one the problem for me is I just have an addiction to speed.My favorite is when people pull out in front of you and as you point out there is never anyone behind you. This kind of crap leads to road rage.

    ReplyDelete