Monday, July 9, 2012

The Wrong Words and Phrases


Believe it or not, tonight's topic comes from watching the world news via my wife.  She has noticed several key phrases that are being used to describe too many events where they don't belong.  And I have to agree with her on this one!



For several weeks, or perhaps months, the word epic has been used over and over to describe events that are happening in the world.  This goes beyond just the world news.  It has been all over the place.  Not everything is epic people!  Epic means that it is something really special, it shouldn't be used to describe something that happens on a regular basis.


Perhaps Dianne Sawyer heard my wife griping tonight because she decided to use a different word.  This one was talking about the gentleman that was being followed by a great white while he was kayaking, she called it mythic.  Really?  Come on, think a little Dianne.


How about this phrase, fatal events?  How many fatal events do you think can happen to one person?  Last I knew, you only get one in each lifetime!  Perhaps I'm wrong since I'm not a doctor but I hope never to find out.


How about you?  What phrases or words have you found used in an annoying way?

No comments:

Post a Comment