Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Families in Court



Anyone for a bonus?  Good, glad to hear it.  I just have a quick one about the many court cases that were on the news tonight and the crap that is being allowed to happen.  Some may be a little angry with me on this one but there is a reason that I feel the way I do, and by the end of this you may agree.



Have you noticed lately that at the end of each court case, involving a victim of some sort, that the family gets to speak before the judge delivers the sentence?  Yes, that is what bothers me.  I get that they have something to say but it isn't part of the judicial system.  At what point did this kind of thing start?  I am sure that if you go back 20 years ago you won't find that in any court.  I personally believe it has to do with the overly dramatic culture that we are in now.  Top that with the higher amount of violence in the crime and you get a lot of emotions.  It isn't something that belongs in the courtroom.  That is a place where laws and rules governing the conduct of events are supposed to give the victim and defendant a fair trial.  Bringing in the emotions of family members that were not a witness to the event shouldn't be allowed.  If they were a witness, they should be part of the trial on the witness stand. The courts are backed up with cases now, why should we be setting aside 30-60 minutes for the family to say their piece?  Let them do it in front of a camera and make part of the punishment for the deed be that they must watch that video once a week!  We can't afford to have more judges overseeing cases just so that every family can have their 15 minutes of fame on the news.  We know how you feel!


Please tell me your opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment