Monday, July 2, 2012

Simple Marketing Concepts

Just a quick one based on a commercial that I saw.  It has bothered me for a while but it seems to be making a comeback.  And it is perpetuated by the media, as usual.

It is getting to be very easy to tell the companies that won't spend the money for quality marketing department or company.  I was watching television tonight and a mattress commercial came on.  It was for a Sealy iComfort memory foam mattress.  I just don't get why all of these companies have to do this.  Go to the electronics department of most stores and you will see a large selection of iAccessories for your iPod. iPhone, or iPad.  A few years ago, the BBC was complaining that they didn't get much Android based traffic for their online video service.  They named it the BBC iPlayer, I don't see where the confusion was since there is such a string divide between the two platforms.  I really wish these companies would stop copying something that is popular, it is a bit annoying!

And speaking of annoying, let's speak about how the media is perpetuating the situation.  During the local news tonight they had a stock market report.  The reporter felt the need point out that Apple's stock rose, "on the news that Apple's market share continues to rise.  The iPhone now has 1 out of every 3 smartphones."  That is a fairly good market share but the problem is that the Android market share continues to rise faster.  I believe Android is now up over 50% of the market.  Why isn't this ever reported?  My guess is that it has a lot to do with Apple being closely associated with Disney, who happens to own ABC which is the news channel we watch.  That isn't all of the issue though because it is like that in many more reports, unless you are reading a report on an Android based site or magazine.  Report all the news, not just part of it!

Perhaps I should call this my iBlog!  Do you think it would increase traffic?

No comments:

Post a Comment