Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Another Reason for Obesity

Wow, what a hot day!  We hit a record today and almost hit the all-time record.  Syracuse got to 101, the all-time record for Syracuse is 102.  The humidity took the feel up to 104, and that is something that many other areas haven't had to deal with.  And trust me, it makes a difference.  But that isn't what I want to talk about.  It is just the reason I didn't see the news.



I caught a little on The Cooking Channel, it was an Unwrapped episode about the all American food the hot dog.  It was a good episode (at least the second time I've seen it).  But they finished the episode talking about something that I feel is yet another reason for the obesity issue that we have in the United States, competitive eating.  That's right, I personally feel that the "sport" of competitive eating is contributing to the overall problem.  Everyone will sit and cheer someone on who is trying accomplish eating some huge amount of food and that encourages people to try it just to prove something.  Just think about it, The Travel Channel has a show dedicated to trying to eat the impossible.  It is called Man vs. Food.  Some of the quantities of food that he consumes are just insane!  For example, when he was in Syracuse he ate a 6 pound fretatta.  That doesn't even include the bread that he was required to finish with it!  There are a lot of people who will attempt it just to see if they can.  And that is going to lead to some of those that fail to do things to be able to succeed.  This is why I think it leads to obesity.  People are fascinated with trying what they see on television and getting some fame, even if it is only local.


So what do you think, am I right?

No comments:

Post a Comment