Saturday, May 5, 2012

Web Page Optimization

I was going to complain about a bunch of people in one of the "historic" towns south of Syracuse as they annoyed me regarding an historic home but I came up with something else.  See I was going to read the article again but was having trouble finding it in Google Currents (great little program if it is available for you phone).  So I figured it would be easier to find it using the computer since I am sitting here now.  Boy was I wrong!



I may not have mentioned it in the past, but I really like using the Chrome web browser.  Especially since now I have it on my phone and I get automatic bookmark synchronization between any desktop and my phone.  Top that off with the fact that I am trying Ubuntu Linux to see if I like it and Internet Explorer is out the window.  I went to the web page for the local newspaper, the home page was no issue.  Clicked the News link and everything was all jumbled.  I then recalled that it was an issue that I had run into before while using Chrome for Windows, opening the page in Internet Explorer solved the issue.  I'm not running Ubuntu on a virtual machine so I can't easily switch to Internet Explore so I decided to drop the minor complaint for this one.  In this day and age of global web standardization, why in the world would any company optimize their web site for Internet Explorer anymore?  They are missing out on more than half of the world!  I can honestly say that 10 years ago or possibly even 5 years ago I could understand but not now.  Internet Explorer is only the most popular browser now because so many businesses force you to use it for conformity.  And most of them are running an old version at that!


It just baffles me to no end when companies make poor decisions like this.  At the same time it really gives me an understanding as to why they struggle to survive.  This paper has had major subscription loss over the last few years and hasn't been able to fulfill the missing revenue with their online readership.  Can anyone guess why?  Because they aren't keeping up with what the world wants!  They aren't the New York Times or the Wall Street Journal, they are just a small paper (and the only one) for Syracuse.


I hope they make some better decisions, starting with replacing the ones that are so against change.

No comments:

Post a Comment