Sunday, May 6, 2012

Local Photo Contest

I took what turned out to be a really nice picture of last night's "super" moon (to the right) and my wife said that I should enter it for the local news channel's daily bragging rights photo.  I was a little hesitant but decided to do it just to please her.  Well, that turned into a long adventure that, you guessed it, annoyed me.



So things started out to be a pain in the rear end.  I am not nor have I ever been a fan of this news station's web site.  Finding anything is a real pain and often I just give up and look elsewhere.  Finding where to add a photo for hits contest I had the same issue.  Luckily they finally put a search feature in so I used that.  I got to the page but then had issues uploading the photo.  As I have said before I am trying Ubuntu, I thought perhaps this was the issue I was having so I rebooted into Windows but I had the same issue.  There wasn't anything telling me what the problem was other than an error on their end.  So I thought a little and decided to shrink the file size since my original was roughly 5MB in size and it seemed to error around 2MB (it took me a few times to think to pay attention to that part).  I shrank the file and the upload worked, finally!  Just amazed me that the file limit was 2MB though.  Seems a little low to me.


Now my post was there and I needed to figure out how to ask people to put in a vote (by the way, here is the link if you would like to vote for me) as I assumed it would be part of the Monday (5/7/2012) contest and I wanted to get as many as possible.  I gave up after a few minutes because it was nearly impossible to figure out and it was late.  I began digging again this morning and after posting something on my personal Google+ page, a friend was able to vote there.  But what has become more and more apparent is that they want you to vote via their Facebook page (or whatever it is called there).  What an annoying thing!


If I knew that this was a contest based on low resolution and Facebook friends I wouldn't have ever entered it!  To me Facebook is just a popularity contest and I always lose at those!  What a waste of 3 hours of my life just because I thought I took a good picture!  Never get them back but I guess if it made the wife happy it is all worth it in the end...

No comments:

Post a Comment