Friday, May 25, 2012

A Problem with Linux

I think I have stated recently that I am trying Ubuntu Linux because I am not impressed at all with the new look (Metro) of the forthcoming Windows 8.  I don't want to use a phone interface when I'm using a desktop computer!  But I have come across something beyond not being able to run my favorite game of Civilization.



I'm not going to claim to be the brightest bulb in the store when it comes to computers but I am a far cry from a novice (I have a bachelor's in Computer Science).  But one of the things that I see as a major downfall of the entire Linux ecosystem isn't the lack of software, it is finding what you want or need.  One reason that I chose Ubuntu is that it is supposed to be very simple to download and install software.  This is a point in which I have to disagree.  Let me split this up a little though they are related to the same issue.


I have been reading things about Linux from a professional journalist that has been using it since the 1990's and he is actually running antivirus software.  He said it may not be necessary but he does it because it is free and doesn't slow the computer down at all.  I decided that since I am really putting an effort into using Linux this time I probably should follow the same train of thought.  I decided I would go with the one that he was using for lack of any better knowledge.  So I opened the Ubuntu software center and just looked for any antivirus software.  There were several things that appeared with the name of the one he was using but most of the stated they were some kind of interface.  I couldn't tell which was the program that I needed!  If Linux in general wants to grow they need to start thinking a little along the lines of the audience that they are trying to steal.  A Windows user downloads a file and installs it.  There are a bunch of different files listed each as an add-on with a small amount of feature add.  This is something that can and will drive people away from Linux.


The other piece of software that I was going to attempt to load was an IDE (integrated development environment).  That is something that assists you with creating programs.  I have been out of programming for a long time but I have dabbled a few times just trying to learn a language in faint hopes of getting into the industry.  Rather than search I decided to use the menus to drill down.  Holy crap that was a listing!  But as I scrolled through I noticed things that had nothing to do with software development.  I found it amazing that something like a weather indicator was in this list!  Again, think of the people that you are trying to convert.


These are a couple of things that I have found really annoying thus far.  Overall I am liking the experience but there are a few things that just jump out and show why Linux isn't taking more shares from Windows or Mac OS X.  Fix these and Linux may take off.

No comments:

Post a Comment