Thursday, May 24, 2012

Commercial Drivers

Another busy night had me outside before I got to see much of the news.  But I had a run-in with something that has bothered me in the past.  Finally had it happen at a time when I remembered it for this.  I just don't understand what the folks driving the commercial vehicles are thinking!



So there is a construction company based somewhere in the Syracuse area that always drive like they own the road.  I'm not talking about the slightly annoying driving that you get in regards to most truckers, though they are annoying but I'll get to that.  This company is aggressive and dangerous!  They will get so close to the back of my car so that I can only see their grill in the mirror.  They will pull out in front of someone just to get around you then cut you off once they are past you.  One of these days I'm liable to take some video of just how aggressive they are.  Probably the only reason that I haven't is because I know it won't do any good unless I can find out who their insurance company is.


But this leads to a larger picture.  How often has someone driving a commercial vehicle driven dangerously around you?  And something that you need to keep in mind that a commercial vehicle is anything driven for a business, not just trucks.  I'll bet that everyone has because they are everywhere.  The thing that these people don't think about is how their driving reflects on their company.  That vehicle has the company logo and phone number on it because it is a way to advertise basically for free.  There are regulations for the large trucks that require the company name but it doesn't require phone numbers and/or a web address.  Those are there in hopes that someone will contact the company for services they offer.  But when you get someone who is a real jerk driving a vehicle with that logo on it, it isn't a good way to advertise for your company.  Take that construction company I mentioned earlier as an example.  I would rather pay more to have someone else do the job just because I have formed an opinion that no one in that company really cares about anyone else.  I'm sure it isn't really true but that is the opinion that I have formed because the way that I interact with them now is on the road where their drivers are real jerks!


Some of you may not be thinking this way but the next someone in one of those commercial vehicles cuts you off, take a second to make a note of what you are thinking about.  Is it the person, the company, or both?

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Well anonymous, you must be from CNY! I had thought about naming names but decided I didn't want to point fingers directly...

      Delete