Wednesday, May 2, 2012

The Big Miss by ESPN

I have complained in the past about celebrity events being on the news and not on an entertainment show.  This time I am going to complain about something that is almost the opposite.  By now most of you have probably heard that Junior Seau apparently committed suicide early this morning.  There was a brief mention of it on the world news and this time it probably belonged there.  But where an in-depth story should have been appears to be absent.



Let me start out with stating why it belonged on the world news.  The way in which he committed suicide is very similar to the way another former player did in February, a gunshot to the chest.  This time there wasn't a note stating that he wanted his brain donated to science but I believe it is implied.  He never had a reported concussion but that doesn't mean he didn't take a lot of hits to the head.  This is the reason it belonged on the world news.  Football is a very violent sport and bringing attention to this fact is something that I feel is important.  The story wasn't really about him, it was about the problem.  And the fact that it was only a 2 minute story was just right.  It got the point across without taking up too much time for other news.


So that doesn't sound like a rant, does it?  Well your right.  My problem is that I didn't hear about it until late afternoon.  As some of you know, I a big fan of Google+ and check it regularly throughout the day.  There was no stories about it at all.  What makes that a rant is that I was following ESPN.  That's right, I said was!  It is just ridiculous that the "Leading Sports Network" missed something like that.  That is the place where there should be a huge story about him, he was a sports star!


Perhaps they put it something on their website or Facebook, perhaps even posted something on Twitter.  I don't follow them there!  If they are going to have a presence on a social network they need to use it to let people know what is going on.  Plain and simple!  They apparently don't really care about Google+ so I am done following them!

No comments:

Post a Comment