Friday, May 11, 2012

Snacks at the Game

I didn't post last night because I went to the local AAA baseball game for a while.  Really strange that neither of the kids have any interest in baseball but love going to the games.  Anyway, that brings us to tonight's topic, the price of things at the game.



My youngest is a bottomless pit at times, especially when he suddenly finds out about food in the area.  What started it was when the best hitter for the visitors was tagged as the taco hitter.  If he was struck out once during the game you could take your ticket to a local participating Taco Bell and get a free taco.  He struck out his first at bat and of course everyone starts yelling taco.  Surprisingly that didn't get him started though.


About half an hour later he said that he was starting to get hungry and I could smell something that someone had just walked by with so a snack sounded good.  I decided to go get some pretzels since both of the kids like them and they fit into my dietary needs.  I expected to pay a bunch but not this much, $4 per pretzel!  Why is it so much?  I worked in the food service industry for quite some time and I know that you can buy these for roughly 50 cents each.  They aren't the fancy filled ones, just plain and they weren't even warm.  There is no reason for the cost to be that high other than they can.  And it wasn't just the pretzels, everything was very expensive!


And this problem isn't limited to this ball park either!  Any sporting event that you go to has the same issue.  You aren't allowed to bring anything in so they have you locked into buying what they offer at the cost that they want to charge.  I think what makes it worse is that these places can't figure out why attendance is down.  Here's a hint, we are in a recession and people can't waste money on stupid purchases!  The outrageous prices that you are charging is a stupid purchase.  For the $16 that I paid for the 4 pretzels that I got last night I could have purchased a box of 24 at a wholesale club.  How do I know that?  I did it in the past.


These places need to wake up before the fans go elsewhere with their cash...

No comments:

Post a Comment