Tuesday, June 19, 2012

SiriusXM Auto-Renewal

I missed the news tonight and was really concerned what I was going to have for quality material for a post.  Well, thanks to SiriusXM, I got something that really ticked me off!  It is truly to the point where I have to really restrain myself to keep the profanity out of the post.  Not sure how many young ones read this other than mine so I try to keep it clean.  This may be a struggle!



Let me begin by stating that I have really enjoyed the programming on SiriusXM for the past 3 years and would have loved to continue the service.  However, I just can't afford any extra cash for luxury items like this.  I am still catching up on things from when I was unemployed.  I paid for a full year last year and that term finally ended.


A couple of weeks ago I was watching some movies with the family when SiriusXM's automated teller service called (8:30pm on a Saturday).  I took the phone from my wife thinking that a real person was on the line.  It wasn't a real person, it was a recording telling me to stay on the line to talk to a representative.  Needless to say I hung up because I was spending time with my family and figured they would get the hint that I no longer wanted the service since I didn't pay.  Apparently I was wrong!  I meant to call just to make sure that everything was cancelled correctly but I kept getting distracted by other things so I forgot.


So they called again tonight to verify my address and other information as I assume they couldn't charge the credit card I used last year and were looking for the money.  He told me I had a balance and I stated that I wanted to cancel the service.  He started saying something about it had auto-renewed so I would have to call another number to cancel the service.  I asked how it could have auto-renewed since I never authorized it and he said it is part of the customer agreement.


This is the part that got me ticked off!  I don't recall anything stating anything about auto-renewal when I first signed up for it.  And it didn't work that way in the past because they actually turned off a radio once when I was going to cancel it and didn't pay.  These companies have to much power over consumers with the ability to change customer agreements.  Do you have time to sit and read the entire agreement every time they decide to change it?  I know I don't!  And why is there an agreement regarding something as simple as a music service?  It isn't like I could transfer the service to another radio without getting them involved.  They have complete and total control over what has access to their service.
This is just another example of how the consumer is getting screwed.  And the government, which we pay to protect us, is letting it happen.  They approved the merger of the only two satellite radio services in the United States.  So now there is a monopoly but because the consumer has a choice to listen to the free stuff over the air, it will never be counted as a monopoly.  Ridiculous!  Because of this stupid auto-renewal, SiriusXM has lost a customer for life!  I will find some other way to have commercial free music.

No comments:

Post a Comment