Friday, June 22, 2012

Amazing Inventions

I caught some of the news tonight but tonight's rant isn't about anything that I saw on the news.  It is about something that I saw advertised during the news though.  I really have a hard time believing that they could afford to pay to advertise for it during the prime time news!

As you can guess, this is about something that was being advertised as such an amazing product that the actors couldn't figure out how they could live without it.  The worst part is that the commercial had the poor video quality, acting, and voice over of the typical infomercial that you would see late at night.  The product you ask?  The Medpole.  I know your next question, what is it?  It is a pole that is about 6 feet tall that someone can use to assist them in getting out of a chair or whatever else they are sitting on.

I had to laugh when I saw it as there are several problems with it that I could see right off the bat.  The first is that they claimed it was portable.  It doesn't collapse, so my question is who wants to carry around a 6 foot pole?  Next they claim that it assists people (their focus is the elderly) get up on their own.  The problem there is that if they have the arm strength to lift themselves with this pole they can either get up on their own without assistance or they can easily use a cane to assist them.  The actor that they had could obviously stand without any kind of assistance.  He was actually struggling in his attempts to use the pole.  And the last issue I have is what anchors it to prevent it from tipping over?  Do you stand on the base or something?  If that is the case, it is a complete failure.  If you can put enough pressure on your feet to hold something like that stationary while you are pulling on it you can probably stand up without any assistance.

I think what made me laugh so much is that they were talking like a pole is something so new and unique.  I'm sure there is something more that they didn't include in the commercial but it wasn't really ready for prime time.  I don't really think the product is either.  It certainly wasn't the amazing thing that they claimed to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment