Monday, June 4, 2012

Exceptions to the Rule

I had something really good to gripe about but I completely forgot about it.  For all I know it could be what I'm about to complain about!  And that has to do with a new law in New York that is similar to some in other states.  Every time I read about something like this it brings me back to one of the few books that I read in high school.



This law is supposed to give you more time and freedom when you are at home from the robo-calls that interrupt your life.  Sounds like a great thing right?  Well it is in regards preventing the telemarketers and charities that are truly just an annoyance offering you things at a claimed discount or claiming to save hundreds of lives for $1 a day, provided they use an automated dialer.  This improves on the Federal law by adding in the in the charities, so it is a good thing, to a point!


And that point brings me to the book that I referenced earlier, Animal Farm.  If you haven't read it, I actually suggest it as it is a good book.  The basics of the book are the evolution of Communism in Russia.  It starts out sounding great, a place where everyone is equal.  But as things progress, things change.  In fact one of the rules becomes everyone is equal but some are more equal than others.  And that is the part that reminds me of laws like this.  The exception that this law keeps from the Federal law is that political campaigns are still exempt.  Why is it okay for a politician to interrupt me?  As the article explains, because it is cheaper and they are different than every other thing that is covered by the law.  What a load of crap!  They are the same, an annoying way to interrupt my evening with my family.


And exceptions are put in just about every law so that those that would really be effected by it can get around it.  And if they don't blatantly put in an exception like this one they will leave hidden holes that a lawyer will easily find so that they can get around it.  Just the other day I complained about the law that Mayor Bloomberg is attempting to pass regarding the size of sweetened beverages in New York City.  One of the things that they stated was that drinks such as coffee from Starbucks will probably be exempt because it normally has cream.  An exception to the rule put in to appease a company that probably has a lot of lobbyists in city hall.


Until things like this are eliminated, our country is going to continue grow our debt.  Loopholes need to be eliminated so that everyone pays their fair share.  In this case they would be forced to either hire actual people to make the calls, though they are mostly done by volunteers anyway so I guess that won't increase the cost.  Of course, they could do something really out there on the wild side, walk around and meet people.

No comments:

Post a Comment