Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Actions of Children

I didn't catch much of the news again as it was a real scorcher today so I got to spend some time with the family splashing in the pool.  But what I did catch really annoys me and kind of ties in with something that happened while we were in the pool.



So one of the stories that I caught on the news was about how some kids picked on the bus monitor so badly that she broke out in tears.  When I was a kid, the only ones that did that were bullies.  Among friends you would pick on each other but it would stop long before this stage.  These kids were downright mean and completely insensitive!  There was no reason to say any of the things that they did.  And I can't believe that anyone within earshot would allow it to continue!  I hope the district does everything in their power to punish these kids and that she presses charges.  I understand that kids will be kids and all but it starts with the parent.  Punishment should begin with removing them from all buses.  If they need to go to school or a school function their parent must drive them or make arrangements for the to be driven.  If you haven't seen the video, I'm sure you can watch it on the ABC News website.


The other thing that bothered me goes along the same lines, though admittedly not nearly as drastic.  There is a family that lives just down the road.  One of the kids has some issues (and I'll leave it at that).  There is the oldest (15 or so), the middle child with issues (13 or so), and the youngest (11 or so).  The youngest is in my son's class so they talk and are "friends" so to say.  I have to put friends in quotes because it is more of what can you do for me or what do you have that I don't type of friendship.  Her older brother (the one with issues) is always with her because their mother insists that anywhere she goes he must go also.  My wife doesn't feel comfortable with having him in the house as she is aware of his issues and the episodes that result from it.  She has contacted the mother several times and asked that he call before coming to visit yet that never seems to happen.  But it never fails that the oldest always comes to find the younger two and tells them to come home.  What I'm seeing here is that the "parents" of this kid with issues are his siblings.  It is very easy to see that the parents don't want to be bothered with his episodes so they send the other children out to do it.  If you don't want kids make the correct choice, either abstain or wrap it!


At what point in time did parenting become something of a chore rather than a joy?  When we decided to have kids we knew that it meant we would have to do things that we didn't want to and that our lives would change.  That was a choice that we made.  Think about things before you make the choice, that's all I'm asking for.  Is it really that difficult?

No comments:

Post a Comment