Monday, October 1, 2012

What Happened to Proper English

I'm certainly not going to claim that I have the greatest grammar or speech.  For proof of that you just need to check out a few of my posts.  However, I am really getting annoyed with a lot of the words and language being used by so called professionals all over the place.  Whether that is in print, online, or over the air.


Perhaps you are wondering what is setting me off on this.  There are two things, the first of which is that I'm not the only one.  I read an article from JR Raphael earlier today on words and phrases that bother him.  Second is a much more likely source for my complaints, an advertisement.  There was a Subway commercial talking about their meatball sub (which I really like).  They were describing it with normal terms and decided to throw in mongelicious.  What is that supposed to mean?  Personally I find the fact that everyone needs to make up a "word" annoying.  The whole point is just to get noticed and possibly get their 15 minutes of fame.  I'm sorry but when I am reading or listening to news I don't want to hear new terms or slang unless it is relevant to the story!  Enough people, speak the language!

And it certainly doesn't stop there!  Have you noticed how often things have a neat acronym?  Give me a break!  I'm not texting!  The information technology field is the worst when it comes to this problem.  I started taking a class to become a certified network associate.  I knew that there would be a lot of acronyms so I started taking notes.  After one week of classes I had 4 pages of acronyms!  No wonder the field is so difficult to master!  But recently the medical field has started to catch up.  Any new "disease" seems that it must have an acronym.  I put disease in quote on purpose but you would have to check out my rant on that.  And how about the latest craze with aging men, low testosterone.  Can't refer to it as that, the commercials feel it is better to call it LT followed by explaining what it is.

This problem seems to be growing.  The worst part is that at some point the government is going to do a study to figure out why we can no longer communicate with each other across specialties.  Imagine if a computer professional couldn't talk to a human resources professional.  How will the human species move forward?

No comments:

Post a Comment