Thursday, October 11, 2012

Is It Really the Same?

I'm not sure what the deal is but I've been having a difficult time coming up with material lately.  Perhaps it is that my stress level (the original reason for starting this) has lowered or that I'm not paying as much attention to the stupidity of people.  But I'm beginning to believe it has more to do with the lack of interaction on the blog.  At any rate, this is the third time that I've started a post tonight but I think I've got a decent one so please check it out and share the link.

I'm watching a show on Cooking Channel called Unwrapped.  If you haven't watched the show I suggest that you do some time.  It goes behind the scenes of some of your favorite foods, some very interesting stuff is in there!  But the problem that I have is when they talk to a company that has been in business a long time and the spokesperson makes the statement that it's the same recipe as it was 100 years ago.  Personally I find that very hard to believe for the most part.  If you look at the ingredients on some of the packaging I think you would agree with me.  100 years ago there were a lot fewer chemicals used to thicken and preserve products.  It isn't rocket science, it's financial.  It is faster, cheaper, and easier to use chemicals to thicken or preserve the product.  And cheaper is all that they really care about, provided the taste is close enough to the original their bottom line is all they are concerned with.

Yeah, it's a short one but I think it is something that needs to stop.  If you are going to claim that something is the same as it was 100 years ago, it better be!  Perhaps the better thing to do would be to state that the recipe has changed to take advantage of modern technology.  What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment