Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Energy Drinks

Caught a bunch on the world news tonight and this one jumped out at as the most annoying.  Perhaps it was the outlandish that it even bothered my wife!  I find it amazing that something that I've complained about in the past is coming back yet again.


I will get right down to the point.  The story was about someone who claimed their daughter died from drinking 2 whole Monster brand energy drinks.  These parents are leading the charge begging the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to do something to control these drinks.  You guessed it, I have a problem with the "charge" that they are mounting.  The problem I have is that they are trying to put the blame on someone else.  She was 18 (I believe) so that means she is old enough to make informed decisions.  And if she was only 17, the first one to be blamed is the parent for not teacher her anything about the danger that high amounts caffeine can cause.  But, once again, it can't be their fault!  Nope, it is the manufacturer that purchased the beverage, opened it, and forced the girl to drink it.  And then they forced her to drink a second one!

And here is the fatal flaw with their "charge" on the subject.  They are claiming that the caffeine caused her death yet in order to get a fatal dose of caffeine would not be reached unless she drank between 31 and 62 cans almost simultaneously.  There is such a large discrepancy there because people absorb it at much different rates, it is based on some actual research.  I can honestly say that she probably didn't drink even 5, at that age she probably didn't have enough money to buy five all at once.  According to the coroner's report she died of complications based on other conditions.  Of course, the family has failed to mention that!

Is this tragic?  Absolutely, I can't imagine the feelings that they must have over losing a child and I hope I'm not going to be in that situation.  In order to prevent that feeling I plan to do what a parent is supposed to do, teach my children the consequences of doing things in excess.  But the biggest thing that I will teach them is that they are responsible for their own actions.  Perhaps the world would be a better place if everyone else would do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment