Wednesday, October 3, 2012

I Want to Prove It

I'm watching one of my favorite cooking shows, Chopped.  This show peeks my interest because it puts chefs in a spot where they have to think on their feet.  But there is a phrase that really needs to go.  The phrase certainly isn't limited to this show, it just happens to be where I have just seen it with the laptop on my lap.


So what is the phrase?  It's something that should have ended a long time ago, "I just want to show that as a woman I can do this."  I'm sorry but you shouldn't be doing something just to show that a woman can do it, you should be doing it to show that you can do it no matter your gender!  And don't give that crap about showing your daughter that she can do whatever she wants.  You should be showing her that in everyday life, not in a show where you are getting your 15 minutes of fame!  If they want to see that they can just watch the Food Network or The Cooking Channel.  There are a lot of women on these shows.  Want to show her that she can make it in the culinary field without a culinary education, point her to Rachael Ray!  You should be doing this to prove something to yourself an no one else.

I'm still trying to figure out why people feel the need to impress others.  Impress yourself and be happy.  I get that you need to impress others to grow in your chosen career but you can accomplish that at the same time. Put in the effort to impress yourself and others will be impressed as long as your standards are high enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment