Thursday, August 23, 2012

The Proposal

I didn't pay much attention to the world news tonight for two reasons.  First, I'm still a little annoyed at the way in which they covered the abortion topic (the subject of last night's rant).  That has just gotten me into a little bit of a funk.  The other reason is the New York State Fair.  How you might ask?  I'll make this a two part just for you tonight.  What I did pay attention to on the world news makes me even more glad that I am married.


Part one, your question answered about the NYS Fair.  I get that the Fair is a major event for New York residents and some past residents but enough is enough!  It just opened today and I've already heard more then I want to.  Every year the local stations have booths there so they can "cover" the Fair.  What it turns out to be is 12 days where the rest of the world could pretty much shut down and you won't know it.  They don't cover the news, they cover things that are supposedly enticing people to attend.  I've only gone a few times because I just don't see the appeal.  It is great that they celebrate the agricultural industry that is a large part of the NY economy but the prices are outrageous!  And let's be honest, most of the vendors that are at the Fair are local to Syracuse.  You don't see any restaurants sent up from New York City, or anything from Buffalo.  About the farthest products or companies that you see are from the Finger Lakes region.  And most of them are wines, very good wines, but wines.  But what bothers me most, I think, is that at every newscast we have to watch them eat something because they feel they have to try stuff, then they will turn around and tell you how bad the food is for you.  This year's big thing is  the doughnut dog.  It is a Hoffman (local Syracuse company) hot dog, wrapped in bacon, and put on a long john doughnut.  It may actually be good but holy fat and cholesterol Batman!

On to part two from the world news.  They ran a story that I can only imagine they have been saving for a slow day.  It was all about the new costs of a marriage proposal.  There are people spending $9000+ just to propose in a unique way.  That's right, there are three zeros after that with a plus!  Holy crap what are these people on?  I always thought it was ridiculous that the jewelers convinced most people that they needed to spend two months salary on a ring but this goes above and beyond that.  I could find much better things to blow that kind of cash on!  They even spoke to a wedding planner who agreed that these proposals, most recorded for posting on YouTube, were getting out of hand.  I'm sure that has as much to do with the cash not going in her pocket (yet) as it does with anything else but you get the point.  This is just another example of how people are trying to out-do each other so that they will get their 15 minutes of fame.  Just a really stupid thing considering how many marriages end in divorce.

If you are concerned that she won't remember it you are probably asking the wrong person to marry you.  The ring I bought my wife cost less then one week's salary and the date that we were on cost a total of $50.  But she will remember it because the date was the one year anniversary of our first date, she had no clue it was coming, we sat within 10 seats of the ones we sat in on our first date, and I asked her at roughly the same time she kissed me for the first time that previous year (halfway point of the break between the second and third period of the local pro hockey team).  That's how you make a memory people!

No comments:

Post a Comment