Wednesday, August 22, 2012

The Abortion Non Issue

Caught the news tonight and was very annoyed with the political coverage.  I really can't believe this was the topic of a 10 minute story considering what a non story it turned out to be!  That's 10 minutes of my life I will never get back!  The basis of this isn't about my opinion of abortion, rather it is about the way the "story" was overblown.


I'm sure that everyone has an opinion one way or another regarding abortion, I know I do and I'll get to it in a minute.  So the whole thing with the story that seemed more like an attempt to create a story then it was a story on it's own.  Romney's vice presidential candidate has made his opinion very clear and it is very much along religious lines, he is against it with an exception.  He was apparently a sponsor of a bill that would outlaw it except when the woman was violently raped.  The only controversial part is that when questioned on the definition of violent he basically said that anything other then statutory rape was violent.  So basically what I believe he was trying to say is that if she partook willingly she should not be allowed to get an abortion.  That isn't his complete belief though, he stated that this was just a step toward abolishing the practice completely.  So why the 10 minute story?  Well I guess it is because the Obama campaign avoided talking about it the entire day.  Ridiculous waste of time!  Cover some real news for a change people!

So here is my opinion on the subject, as I said I would state.  I don't believe it should be something that a law can prevent.  This has nothing to do with whether or not I would ask someone to have one.  This has to do with facts.  Fact number one, abortions will happen whether they are legal or not.  They always have and when they are not legal there is no regulation on the environment where it is performed, on the cleanliness of the equipment used, or the anesthetics used.  Many women were dying due to unregulated abortions.  Fact number two, if these are illegal we don't collect taxes on the cost of the procedure.  I agree that the government, nor insurance, should not pay for an abortion unless rape is involved.  I've never been involved with one, and hope never to be, but I can't imagine that they are cheap.  Fact number three, how about parents talk to their kids and teach them about safe sex?  It can do more then prevent them from being in a situation where this is a consideration, it can prevent a deadly STD.  This teaching can be religious based if that is your preference, it isn't mine but that doesn't matter.  The final fact in my opinion on the subject is that we are talking about a woman making a very difficult decision.  This is something that effects her body and future.  She made the choice to have sex you say?  You are right but she also has a say in her life and you probably don't understand fact number three.  If she chooses to make this choice, and pay for it, why should we stop her because of our beliefs?  If she really thinks this is the best choice for her, she will get the abortion whether the law allows for it or not.  Why lose two lives just because we think we know what is best for the situation.

I would never ask nor want someone I was willing to have sex with to get an abortion.  That is my personal feeling on the subject.  It has nothing to do with religion or anything else.  I love my kids and if it happened to me again, though it would be a miracle, I wouldn't do anything but love that child as well.  Again, that is me.  That doesn't mean that abortion should be illegal, just that I wouldn't want it to be part of my life.  Take religion out of politics!

No comments:

Post a Comment