Wednesday, August 1, 2012

I Know Better Because I Work Here

What a long day!  Between work and the fiasco I'm about to talk about I not only missed the news but didn't get home until after the kids went to bed.  I don't think anything on the news could have topped this one anyway.



My mother is on my wireless play because having her there is cheaper then her having a plan of her own.  She decided that she really wanted to upgrade her phone to something a little better then her "text capable" phone.  It was a really basic phone with a keyboard but couldn't do much more then text and call.  After a bunch of thought, she decided to make the plunge into the smartphone world (ok, I pushed a little).  Unfortunately for her there wasn't an upgrade available on my plan until November.  Now you can take this as you want but I will have to give the guy credit for quick thinking.  She couldn't afford to pay for a phone outright but the salesman had a thought that would work.  Add another line to the account and transfer the new number to her current phone and her current number to the new phone.  It means it will cost her an additional $10 per month but in my opinion he wasn't trying to sell her on that, just trying to give her all the options.  She decided that she wanted an upgrade bad enough that it was worth the $10 per month.  Not really a simple process but should take a little over half an hour.


This is where my complaint comes in.  It took nearly an hour for the new phone to activate the first time.  That's right, the first time!  It needed to be activated with the new number first, then reactivated with the old number.  Once that first activation happened it was a breeze switching the old phone to the new number.  Now we needed to activate the old number on the new phone.  Two, that's right two, hours later I suggested to the manager (who finally came over to assist) that it appeared to me to be an issue with the phone itself.  I have read many articles on smartphones and have come to know that they often have issues that make them worthless.  His answer was that it had to be an issue with the network since it activated once.  I suggested that it couldn't be the network because in the time that we were there I had been all over Google+, checked my email several times, and several people had come in for new accounts or upgrades and activation wasn't an issue for them.  Another 45 minutes goes by and a saleswoman starts to help since the phone still hasn't activated and a call to Verizon directly shows that everything on their end has done what needs to be done.  She looks at the manager and tells him that she believes the issue is with the phone and wants permission to try another.  He gives her the ok and 10 minutes later we are out the door with a brand new fully functional phone.


My problem isn't with the sales staff, it is with the manager.  His stupid dismissal was just that, stupid!  These people need to realize that there are well informed people in the world that don't work for Verizon!  I was so tempted to walk over to him and point out that he was wrong but I figured this would be the better thing to do.


His stupidity brings me back to a big part of the reason this blog started, I HATE stupid people!  Why not just admit that you don't know what the issue is?  Why not accept the fact that you don't know everything about the phones that you sell?  Be intelligent about things!  I just wasted 4+ hours of my life because of his stupidity.  If it wouldn't have taken just as long I would have told her to forget about it and get a phone on another network!  It may happen that way when my contract is up for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment