Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Halloween

I apologize to anyone that didn't like the non-rant post from earlier.  I've been attempting to build stations that are as enjoyable as what I had heard on SiriusXM prior to ending the service.  I believe I have not only done that but, with a lot of help, have actually created better.  But enough of that, back to the ranting.  There are a couple of reasons tonight's rant.  Both of which are completely annoying.


It is August, yet the news is doing a story regarding Halloween.  What was the story you ask?  Halloween candy is now on shelves, at least on the shelves of CNY stores.  But beyond being on the shelves already, they are putting the candy in the main aisles.  And they are going even further by putting the bagged candy that is labeled for Halloween at eye level for kids.  There are several issues here.  Let's begin with it's only August!  It's not like they won't sell millions and millions of pounds of candy in the weeks before the holiday.  It seems to me that these stores are going overboard with how early they are pushing the holiday items.  I get that there isn't any holiday that causes massive sales until Halloween but come on!  Parents are in the process of purchasing school supplies.  Having this candy right there only adds to the issues that we are having with obesity in the United States.  These stores are willing to put their bottom line in front of the health of the American population, and that isn't right.

The other story that bugged me tonight actually relates to the first.  Someone that I follow on Google+ posted a story regarding the use of fluoride in the United States.  I actually suggest that you check it out as I'm sure you will find it interesting.  What I find interesting is that this isn't some kind of study where they looked at 100 people over the last year.  They actually looked at the patterns that have developed since the government suggested it's use in municipal water supplies.  Rather then increasing the strength of the enamel on your teeth, it is causing pitting and dis-colorization.  It has also lead to weakening of bones in children.  Now I can't say that I believe everything from the study, but at the same time I can't say that I don't believe some of it.  If fluoride is this miracle thing that is supposed to save teeth, why are there so many who have lived on municipal water their entire life and brushed with fluoride toothpaste their whole life, still having dental problems.  Just look around you.  I'm sure you will find people who barely had municipal water in their lives you will see there isn't really a difference.  The other side of the coin is that fluoride is a toxin to humans.  Too much is a really bad thing.  It doesn't appear that the government did much of any research on the effects of fluoride before recommending it.

It would be really nice if everyone would do what's best for the American public.

No comments:

Post a Comment