Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Expansion of the Dictionary

Great news today, there were new words added to the English dictionary today.  What does this means to the majority of us?  Not much of anything.  What it does mean is that college kids now have a larger array of words in which they can use without getting a lower score.


I'm all for adding words based on changes in vocabulary and word usage.  And some of the words added this year make sense.  Like f-bomb.  I think everyone knows the meaning and a lot of us have used it with kids around so it makes sense.  Or how about sexting?  Makes sense to me (though my spell checker isn't recognizing that one at this point).  And I'm sure there are a lot of others on the list that make complete sense.

So what's the problem?  What are these: energy drink; bucket list; life coach; or aha moment?  If you guessed common phrases your wrong!  That's right, they are new words in the dictionary.  So now we are going to make words from phrases?  That's just stupid!  At what point will it end?  I thought it was bad a few years ago when they added the acronym EVOO as a word, but I think putting phrases in there is at least as bad if not worse!  By the way, that stands for extra virgin olive oil if you didn't know.

It almost seems that they are adding "words" because of pressure to do so rather then the evolution of the language.  And I don't know about you but I think it's f-bombing stupid!  What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment