Friday, August 17, 2012

It's a Courtesy Thing

An early one tonight as there are many reasons I but this time it has to do with not wanting to forget again.  I really wanted to complain about this last night but got side tracked due to the complete idiots that are cleaning the lot next to me.  This is just something that those with little or no knowledge about cars should know.


A few weeks ago she took her car in to the dealer that normally treats her well.  I can't remember why she took it in but they told her that she needed new brakes and rotors on the front.  Knowing that the $500 that they wanted she decided not to have that done at that time and she would talk to me and/or my brother.  The thing that she couldn't understand is how there could have been that much of a change in the month since it was inspected at that dealer.  I couldn't understand it either but I guess it doesn't matter, that wasn't the issue this time.

She called around trying to figure out if she was going to take me up on my offer to do it or have it done.  She found a national chain (I won't name names but it is one that starts with an M and recently merged with a muffler shop) that was reasonable and decided that she would have them do the work.  So she called me fairly upset because this place was telling her that she needed to have the calipers on the back replaced.  I happened to be in the area so rather then talk to them on the phone I would stop in.  The manager began to explain to me why they needed to be changed, until I interrupted him.  I had a very simple statement and question, "She came in to have the pads and rotors on the front replaced.  Why are you even looking at the back?"  He stumbled a little before telling me it was a courtesy check.  He couldn't answer me when I asked why he would push it so hard that she was upset.    He told me that they wouldn't be doing her any service if they didn't check the back brakes and offer to fix them.  He then got a little defensive because I don't go for the courtesy thing.  I told him to do the work she came in for and be done.  I then walked away before I really made a scene as I was extremely annoyed!

I had thought that these places had stopped trying to take advantage of people who had little or no knowledge about cars.  Courtesy checks like this are nothing more then a way in which to sell you something that you may or may not need.  I will give it to him that the back brakes need work and the calipers do need to be replaced but she didn't go there for a courtesy check or for any favors.  She is on a fixed income and went there to have one thing fixed.  Give me a break!

No comments:

Post a Comment