Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Just Words

I didn't get to watch the news tonight as my wife has had a visitor to join her in watching a bunch of the Harry Potter movies.  But that certainly isn't to say that I don't have something to complain about.  I got to read a story earlier that really gets under my skin!


I read something earlier that really just pisses me off!  There is no other way in which to put it.  Here is the story if you would like to read it for yourself.  As you can guess I will give you a brief outline of it here.  There is a new high school graduate in Oklahoma who was actually the valedictorian of her class yet she is being denied her diploma by the principal and the school board.  Why?  Simply put, her speech at commencement.  In her speech she started talking about how she had been asked what she was going to do.  She took inspiration from the movie Eclipse and said, "How the hell do I know?"  For that one word, hell, they are going to waste a lot of taxpayer money fighting a lawsuit.  That one word that is forbidden based on religious belief, no other reason.

That's right, this is what has gotten me all ticked off!  There is supposed to be a separation of church and state yet here is another example of how that is not true!  I find it utterly ridiculous that in this day and age one can't say what they want.  The word hell is used all the time on prime time television, don't believe me?  Watch the Simpsons, Bart says it all the time!  So why can't an eighteen year old say it?  I just find this to be completely pathetic!

The school board and the principal should really think about their actions.  This is a foolish path that they are taking.  I would say that the courts have no choice but to force them to give her the diploma.  However, we all know that they won't do that and this will move to an appeal and may even make it to the Supreme Court.  All along the way it will cost taxpayers thousands and thousands of dollars.  They are words, get over it!

No comments:

Post a Comment