Monday, March 12, 2012

How Irish are They

Kind of a relaxing day with no television at all.  Pretty amazing to think that it actually happened where I went an entire day without it.  So I really didn't get anything with regards to ranting material.  But I do have one based on the great Irish holiday is coming upon us.  I'm not sure just how many of you are in a situation like we are in Syracuse with a rather large Irish section but I find it amazing just
how many businesses will suddenly become Irish at the end of February.


There is one furniture store that really pushes this and at the moment it is all that I can think of because they really start advertising heavy during this time of year.  There are other companies that do it but this one in particular goes above and beyond all others.  And what makes it worse is that I can remember as a kid (1970's and 1980's) them using the same tactics.  You would think they would have done something else or changed agencies but apparently not.  The name of the store is Dunk and Bright.  When they do advertise during the rest of the year, their claim to fame is that they are the largest store in New York State.  I'm not sure that having your warehouse serve as the store should count but I'm sure that is some more marketing spin.  Back to the subject though!  During February and March, they start advertising as O'Dunk and O'Bright with the Irish Bargain Party Sale.  And what constitutes the Irish Bargain Party Sale?  Well it is Irish coffee of course and "discounts" on furniture.  That's right, I put the discounts in quotes.  There really isn't much of a discount as the prices are basically the same as they are all year, but that's another rant.  And I'm sure the Irish coffee isn't what you think, pretty sure it isn't whiskey they are adding to it, just Irish coffee creamer.


But one of the other things that bother me is the idea that something green denotes Saint Patrick's Day.  Take for instance, the Shamrock Shake at McDonalds.  What is Irish about it other than the green color?  It is another example of a marketing gimmick that we fell for.  There isn't really anything dealing with the celebration relating to green or mint.  They just marketed well when it first came out and now they have people who look forward to them every year at this time.  And they will go to McDonalds just to get one.


And there is one Syracuse tradition that I just can't figure out.  There is a local bar that purchases green colored beer just for the occasion.  At some point in time I'm sure I will fight through the crowd just to be able to say I did it but what does green colored American style lager have to do with Saint Patrick's Day?  Irish beer is traditionally really dark and heavy, a stout I believe is the correct term for the type.  You can't color it green because it is usually so dark that you can't see through it.


These are just three examples of how the marketing folks have manipulated us into falling for gimmicks that have nothing to do with a holiday.  I'm curious of what other gimmicks there are for this holiday that you have seen in your area.

4 comments:

  1. MMMMM......Green Beeeer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, you can only say that if you like cheap American lager. Fortunately, it is also based on the world's best selling beer, Budweiser. I don't like it but at some point in time I will do it for the experience.

      Thanks for checking out the post...

      Delete
  2. I remember how it is in Upstate NY. It's a lot different down here. I have yet to see even a clover. I DVR the TV I watch so I'm spared of any holiday commercials, but as far as I've seen, it's going to be just another weekend for the most part....maybe a few more sales than usual.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I generally DVR stuff as well but not the news or NCAA basketball. And that is where I get stuck with them. You are just lucky I guess...

      Delete