Wednesday, March 21, 2012

The Global Warming Argument

I can't believe I almost forgot what I was going to write about!  This is something that has really bugged me for many years.  And the current temperature trends in the United States are only going to fuel the exaggeration by those that want to put everyone in a panic!  That's right, in the United States, over the last 5 days, there have been well over 1000 record high temperatures recorded.



I'm not one of those that completely denies that the ambient air temperature is warming because it is a fact that the temperature is going up.  But where I have a problem is with the fact that the scientists refuse to tell the whole truth.  They will tell you how the greenhouse gases created by man made pollution is causing the temperature of the earth to climb.  There is some truth to that, but only some.  These greenhouse gases may be assisting or possibly even accelerating the warming.  But the problem I really have that no one will point out is that the earth's atmosphere has been warming since the last ice age!  Have you ever heard any of the scientists point that fact out?  We have no records from prior to the last ice age so we don't know what happened.  Will these same scientists use the greenhouse gas argument when the warming cycle of the earth stops and the cooling process begins?  I doubt it, it will be something else that humans have done that is causing it.  The real truth is that this may actually be the complete and natural pattern that happens every time after an ice age.  We just don't know.


I will agree that humans may be accelerating it but we are not the only cause.  In fact, just last year I read an article about cloning meat for human consumption (I know, it sounds wrong but I don't have to worry cause I won't eat it).  One of the reasons that the scientists were so excited had to do with the amount of methane (a greenhouse gas) was produced by livestock each year just for human consumption.  The article stated that 85%  (or some high number like that) of all methane produced globally was from livestock and that it made up nearly half of the greenhouse gases produced each year!  One of the comments actually pointed out that if that was the case we should be researching how to control the methane production of livestock or perhaps learn how to capture it for better use.  What a great thought!  I would love to put a link in here but it was too long ago, I will try to find it and will edit this post if I do.


But that brings me to electric or hybrid cars.  People normally buy them because they don't produce any emissions.  Well here is a little known fact, you aren't actually stopping the greenhouse gas problem, you are just displacing it.  In the United States, 65% of electricity is still produced using fossil fuel.  And that burning of fossil fuel creates greenhouse gas emissions.  What makes it worse is that the emissions of those power plants is less regulated than the emissions of your car.  So how much are you really saving the environment now?  But what also needs to be considered is the shortage of electricity for states like California who is pushing these vehicles.  Where is that electricity going to come from?  My guess is more fossil fuel since it is so difficult to get approval for a nuclear plant (which has it's own issues).  Electric and hybrid cars will only serve to reduce the need for oil, not lower the release of greenhouse gases.


So what is my solution?  I honestly don't have one.  I just don't like the way in which the scientific community likes to cause people to panic and completely change their ways without giving the whole truth.  It would be nice if they did, but then again if they did I wouldn't have had anything to complain about tonight...

6 comments:

  1. Have to disagree with you on one point. Hybrid cars don't use electricity from power plants. They create their own electricity when the breaks are applied. They don't plug in anywhere. Electric cars like the Leaf, yes, they plug in, but they are totally different from hybrid cars which get better miles per gallon and can run on the vehicles own electric power. I have a Toyota Camry hybrid and it's a great car. I got nearly 40 miles per gallon driving up to NY and back. That does help reduce emissions and does not require additional electric power from external sources.

    Outside of that, I have to agree with this. We have no way of knowing what the Earth's weather patterns have been in the distant past. Another ice age will come and it'll start all over again.

    As for the cows, hey, there are smokeless ashtrays that suck up smoke, how about barns that have an air filtration system that suck up the methane? Better yet, just strap a backpack on each cow with a plastic cup stuck to their butt that captures the methane and puts it into a tank on the backpack. Hank Hill would get into that as much as propane I'm sure. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wasn't aware that you never plugged in a hyrbid. They get a full charge from just applying the brakes? Not sure how it could generate that much electricity. I guess that does make them a little better option.

      However this leads to the other problem with a hybrid. People also purchase them to save on gas. I'm not going to say that 40 MPG is a bad thing because that is pretty good. The problem is to cover the additional cost requires driving the car for a long time. I calculated it last year based on the cheapest hybrid on the market, the Prius. To cover the additional cost between that and the Hyundia Accent would take an additional 18 years of driving. There were some assumptions in that calculation. First was that the Prius would get 50 MPG and the Accent would get 40 MPG as advertised. The next assumption was that the price of gas was, and remained, $3.85 per gallon. That was the cost at the time I did the calculations. The third assumption was that you would never have to change the battery in the electric. The last assumption was driving roughly 40000 miles a year like I was when working where I was.

      I feel very comfortable with that calculation because I owned an Accent when it was rated at 35 MPG. My average for the time that I owned it was 36 MPG. Keep in mind that that mileage was based on a mix of city and highway. It was not uncommon for me to get 42 MPG. That is where the hybrids fall apart since the SULEV vehicles have emission levels in the same range as hybrids.

      So I see this as the reason that hybrids are really just a band aid solution to the overall problem they are supposed to end. Sure hybrids have increased the mileage with larger vehicles but the smaller ones are really not worth the extra. The Camry is really a borderline size. The new Hyundai Elantra is rated at 40 MPG and they are, I believe, the same class. It does truly come down to choice and opinion. And the choices are growing since the government is requiring better mileage. A hybrid is the easy way to that goal but not the long term solution. But it is certainly providing a larger choice of increased mileage vehicles.

      But if you look at some of the other hybrids out there it almost makes you wonder why. Why would you want a hybrid pick-up or large SUV? Especially since with those vehicles the gain is only 1 or 2 MPG. Seems like a waste.

      Delete
  2. Agreed on the SUVs being a waste. Technology needs to grow for that size vehicle because that's where most of the gas is wasted.

    Also agree on comparing price/value of a hybrid. We actually bought ours as the new models were coming out (it was a 2009 when the '10's were out). So, we got it at a lower cost than the "true" new cars. Plus, the Camry Hybrid comes FULLY loaded and has all the bells and whistles as the top end Camry. So, yes, the price of a Camry Hybrid is more than a standard Camry, but if you buy it like we did, there's not much of a price difference and you still save on gas.

    I wouldn't compare the Hyundai's gas mileage to the Camry because even though they are in the same "class" they are not the same. Hyundai's are cheaper cars in general. They have gotten better over the years, but I'll take a Toyota any day over a Hyundai. No contest IMO.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I said, what the hybrid really does for the consumer is to provide a choice in high mileage vehicles.

      As for the Hyundai being cheap, I would have to disagree. I'm on my third one and never had to do any major maintenance on them (90,000 on the first, 65,000 on the second, and now up to 35,000). And those mileage numbers were all done in the first 3 years. But as you ended your comment, the quality is all opinion. I would certainly not say that the Camry (or other Toyota vehicles) are of low quality. I would save that opinion for other makes. But that is probably a different post...

      Delete
  3. Admittedly, I'm going on my experience with them from a while ago. Glad to hear Hyundai has stepped up since I've been in one.

    Type of cars definitely comes down to personal choice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks go out to The Trenches for pointing out this article supporting my view!

    http://washingtonexaminer.com/politics/washington-secrets/2012/04/astronauts-condemn-nasa%E2%80%99s-global-warming-endorsement/469366

    ReplyDelete