Friday, March 23, 2012

Basketball Royalty

Been watching a lot of college basketball and it will get worse over the next couple of nights.  And what gets me are some of the really stupid things that the commentators have said.  They just mentioned another one and it got me started as I really didn't have anything else.  I find it amazing just how stupid some of these people can be.

I'm watching the Kentucky/Indiana game and they were talking about teams with the most championship wins.  They showed a graphic that showed the top 6.  That's right, 6, not 5 or 10.  My personal belief is they did that just to be sure to show Duke in the graphic.  But what got me started was the comment by Clark Kellogg, he said, "That's basketball royalty there."  I guess all that makes up royalty to him is championships.  Let's not look at overall winning percentage or anything like that, let's just talk championships.  I'm not sure he really knows what he is talking about with that one.  As many low seeded teams can attest to, winning in the tournament doesn't necessarily mean you are the best.  How many times has a team gotten really hot from beyond the three point line and beat a high ranked team?  It is getting more and more common as the talent level in college spreads out.  You aren't seeing all of the top players flocking to a handful of colleges anymore.

Anyway, I moved a little off topic so back to it!  The point I was trying to make was that any team can beat any given team on any given day.  Just because you win the championship doesn't mean you are necessarily the best, it just means that you navigated through your path the best.  The other problem is that these "royal" teams often get an easier path the the championship than most teams.

I know there isn't much that can be done to make it better but I really can't stand that the media makes so many decisions about what teams are quality.  They do the same with regards to who does who gets into the NFL Hall of Fame.  I'm sure they do it in other sports but these are really the only two that I watch enough of to be truly informed.  It annoys me when they say that a player is a future hall of famer yet they haven't really done much in their career.

They need to do what their job is and call the game.  And let's be honest, there isn't anyone who really calls the game anymore.  They are just about spitting out the information that they pretend to know.  We all know they are really just reading the teleprompter...

No comments:

Post a Comment