Wednesday, September 5, 2012

NFL Season Start

Well, it is finally here, the start of the NFL season.  Not sure about you folks but I've been anxiously waiting for the start of the season.  I only really watch two sports, the NFL and college basketball.  I will watch some college football but it certainly isn't my favorite.  And a big part of the reason I'm looking forward to it, the stupid things that announcers say.


I've complained before about how horrible the announcers have gotten today and this is really just an extension of that.  You can check it out here.  It is prior to starting this so you will have to check it out on Google+ but it is public so you won't need an account to look, just comment.  But I just find it horrible that these companies are paying millions of dollars per year to these people when they are obviously not worth it. Less then 5 minutes into the new season and Chris Collinsworth (one of my least favorite) says something to the effect of 'surprised he tried to throw it in there, I think he tried to throw it out of bounds on purpose.'  Did he try to through it in there or did he try to throw it out of bounds?  Looked to me like it was just a bad throw over the head of the potential receiver.  But that's not all, 2 plays later he said 'that pass was a little behind...but right in there.'  What was it?  Was it in there or behind?

The big problem that I have with these people aren't predicting the future, they are talking about an event that just happened.  I could understand if it was something that was close, as in it needs a replay to determine, but these examples aren't even close to needing a replay.  A lot of people complain about the inaccuracy of weather forecasting but some of these announcers are worse then weather forecasting and they are talking about the past!

Another thing that I am not looking forward to though is the talk of injury.  I've talked about part of the problem before regarding what is considered an athlete.  They are getting bigger and faster every year.  And the bigger isn't just regarding strength, there has been a big focus on weight as well, especially in football.  I'm not going to repeat that rant but that is a large issue regarding the injuries.  This year they are again focusing on head injuries.  I understand that it is a huge issue but there are other things that they can do besides making it more and more difficult to tackle a player.  That is only going to lead to harder hits.  Sure they won't be directly to the head but they will throw the player higher and farther through the air which will lead to a harder landing.  Something needs to be done but someone also needs to realize that these injuries won't go away unless you limit the size of the players, and even that won't completely eliminate it.  Let them play, when they make that choice to play they are making the conscious decision to put their body (and possibly life) on the line.  If they claim otherwise, they are lying.

No comments:

Post a Comment