Sunday, September 23, 2012

Biased Coverage

Anyone who follows me knows that I have some real issues with a lot of the sports commentators out there. I feel they are highly overpaid for the stupid commentary that they often make.  For the most part this seems to be in the pro games, except for last night!  This was the worst coverage that I have viewed in a very long time!


I believe I have said it before but in case I haven't or you missed it, I'm an SU fan.  Generally speaking, I am not one to watch a lot of college football but I will usually watch an SU game if I can.  I was able to watch last night's game on the Big Ten Network against Minnesota.  These commentators were so bad it wasn't even funny!  It was so bad that at one point I tweeted out that I would much rather watch a game with Troy Aikman and Phil Sims in the booth and Chris Collinsworth on the field.  That should say something about how bad they were because I really can't stand them!  There were several times that these idiots had to correct themselves because they called the play before it was over.  I can't even recall each of the calls they had to reverse because they did this!  And what made it worse was the fact that they couldn't name the correct player on Syracuse until the last few minutes of the game.  I'm not one who knows all the player by number but if it was my job, as it is theirs, I would make it a point to learn them.  They had an entire week to learn them.  My cousin is someone who does know them and he was watching with me, several of the players that these idiots named weren't even playing because they were injured!  At one point, they named the kick returner with the correct first name and the last name of the regular returner who didn't even travel with the team.

But the horrible coverage doesn't stop there!  Every time Minnesota had a positive play these guys go very excited.  It was very obvious who they were rooting for.  And part way into the second quarter it was revealed that the "color" commentator was a Minnesota alumni.  Why is he calling the game?  It would be different if he could do this in an unbiased way but he couldn't.  I could understand it if this was a school funded coverage but it wasn't!  If you were to close your eyes you would think that they handed the mic to a couple of students in the stands and asked them to call the game.  Just plain bad.

But wait, there's more!  Yep, it gets worse.  It was at least three, maybe four, times during the coverage they decided to end the commentary during SU offensive drives.  The first time they decided that talking to the parents of the Minnesota quarterback was more important.  The second time they decided to talk to a former player who went on the win a couple of Super Bowls with the Steelers.  And for the life of me, I can't remember what the third was about.  This was supposed to be a football game, not a talk show!

I'm not sure about you but that certainly doesn't leave a good taste in my mouth regarding the Big Ten.  Why would they let their name be on such horrible coverage?  I can't be the only one with this opinion.  Even if this kind of coverage happened the other way around I would be a bit annoyed.  It was the farthest from a professional team covering the game as I have ever seen.  This starts with the commentators and runs all the way through the producers who allowed it to continue.

No comments:

Post a Comment