Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Aztec and Mayan Calendars



This was the first rant that I had posted on my Google+ version of the blog.  I had someone request to see it so I thought I would post it.  Feel free to comment on it...

So, what's on the mind of the ranter today? How about the Aztec and Mayan calendars.


I saw a commercial today for a sitcom that really bugged me! It stated that the Aztecs predicted the end of the world was in 2012. That isn't a known truth. The truth is that the calendar stopped in 2012. That is all that is known. We don't know if they believed that it would be the end of the world. There are a couple of thoughts that I have on the subject. First, there is a possibility that they only had 1 person who was capable of creating a calendar and he died somehow.


The second could possibly tie into the first. It is possible that the European invasion of the land ended the desire for the creation of things like a calendar. In this scenario there could have been many working on it. Something that needs to be understood about the major event that this was. First, the natives of the area (this includes those in North, Central, and South America) were a much cleaner society than the European societies. Many of the cultures that were completely wiped out were done so by disease as well as by conquest. So again, this could mean that the creation just stopped rather than it being a prediction.


And let me end the speculation that this can't account for both calendars matching. These cultures were relatively close geographically so it is quite possible that they were collaborating on the creation.


There is no one alive from that time and no creditable accounts of the period so we don't, and probably will never, know the truth about why it ends in 2012.

4 comments:

  1. Imagine how big of a stone tablet they would have needed if the calendar went to 4012...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Holy crap dude, not only did I not think of that aspect but that is hilarious! It was hard to keep the laughter down so that I didn't wake the kids!

      Delete
  2. Well, I don't think it was a mistake but I don't think it will be the end of the world either. Living down here close to Chichen Itza, I'm pretty amazed at how they built the pyramids and line them up perfectly with the solstices to form the snake, blah blah. In fact I was in the Merida airport last week, they had a TV screen counting down to the "end of the world". Actually it said until the "Galactical Alignment of the Solstice", but it still made me laugh. In fact I took a picture. I'll post it on my Google+ later.
    The Mayan language is still spoken today. In fact at lunch today, my sister-in-law belted out a few sentences. Gotta say though, weird how the language hung on but most of the intelligence seems to have disappeared. Hmm, maybe it was really aliens. Imagine life forms on another planet going out to search for "higher intelligence" and then running into a bunch of idiots. Maybe they got so annoyed with the Mayan ignorance that they just killed them off in the end.
    It's mean to say but you didn't make this blog to be nice to sugar coat reality, right? Besides I deal first-hand with these people on a daily basis...you would be amazed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And here shows another piece of the puzzle. There are errors in translation. If it is the "Galactical Alignment of the Solstice" where did the end of the world concept come from? It is just like the whole Nostradamus thing. Things can be interpreted to suite the needs of someone in particular. And by the time they are corrected everyone believes the first translation rather than the correct one. And the incorrect translation gets blown out of proportion.

      And it doesn't matter if what you say is mean. The purpose of this blog was to vent about stupid people and events. Please check back often and comment again, I love the international perspective! We, in the United States, can be quite one sided with our knowledge and opinions...

      Delete