Thursday, May 22, 2014

Why is it Such a Surprise?

I could have sworn that I wrote about this before but I can't find it.  If I did, and you've read it before, I apologize.  But this is one that bugs me each year beginning around this time.  You know, when the weather gets warmer.  Hit the link to find out what it is that's bugging me tonight.  I will warn you right off, this might offend some out there, but that isn't my intent at all.  This is really an observation of things, you can decide if it is factual or not.

There has been a lot of talk lately about the pay difference between men and women.  Personally, I don't think it's right that this happens.  But I also don't feel it's right that there is a pay difference between those that are white and minorities.  This rant is all about the first though, between men and women.  And I think I figured out a piece of it.

I currently work in an office where the dress code is business casual.  I was told that it means khakis and a shirt.  Casual Friday means you can wear jeans rather then the khakis.  Yet the dress code for the women in the office seems to be a lot different.  What do I mean by that?  Well, that's pretty simple.  I mean that they are allowed to wear flip-flops.  Not exactly the plastic and foam ones that you may remember.  I'm talking the ones that are the same shape, just made from leather or man-made leather.  But that's not all, we're talking about skirts that are very short.  Short as in some of them are several inches above their knees.  And of course, let's not forget about the low cut tops.  All of this while men are dressed in pants and the same style of shirts all year.  See what I mean?  My point is that dress has something to do with the lower pay.  Take a look at the highly successful women that are out there.  How many of them are dressed in low cut tops and really short skirts?  Not many.  They are dressed in a business suits designed for women to look professional.

Now don't get me wrong.  I certainly like to look at women that are scantily clothed.  But there is a time and place for it.  And the workplace is not the right place for flip-flops, even if they cost $75.

No comments:

Post a Comment