Monday, July 21, 2014

That Doesn't Apply to Me

Alright, life has gotten in the way of all the griping I want to do so what it looks like is that something is going to have to really bother me in order for me to post.  And I've got a good one tonight!  I may have complained about something similar before but I just don't want to look as I know this is something I've never seen before.


I believe I've mentioned before that I live well north of Syracuse.  Quite often, I meet (as my father in-law says, as in they are going the opposite way) a Syracuse police cruiser headed away from the city.  By away, I mean they are getting off the exit 15 miles north of the city.  This morning I happened to see this officer once again.  The exit has 2 lanes, the right lane is a right turn or straight to get back on the highway, the left lane is turn left only.  He (I'm assuming, could be a female) was in the left lane waiting at the stop light.  I was headed through the light to cross the bridge in order to get to the southbound on ramp.  Just before I got to the light, he turned right.  I guess that's fine since there wasn't anyone there, not legal but there wasn't anyone that was going to get hurt from it.

So what ticked me off?  Just after I got past him, he made a u-turn in the middle of the road.  Apparently he doesn't feel that he needed to wait for the light to turn green.  It's not like he was suddenly called to duty, he is 15 miles outside of his jurisdiction!  Nope, he just felt that he didn't have to wait in order to go to Walmart.  I get that he is likely tired from working the overnight shift but come on.  If I did that behind an office I would get a ticket.  But you know that even if an officer saw him do this they would look the other way.

There needs to be some way to control this kind of thing.  Unfortunately, there isn't anything that can be done.  Even if there was, who would enforce it.  There was a story on the world news a couple of weeks ago where a trucker recorded an officer driving and talking on his phone (that was my previous rant).  It was funny how the officer tried to give the trucker a ticket for flashing his lights at the officer to get his attention.  When the trucker made it clear that he was recording everything, including the driving without a hands free device, the officer suddenly changed his tune.  This needs to stop or George Orwell's Animal Farm will come true in the United States.  You know the basic premise, everyone is equal but some people are more equal than others.

Hopefully, that won't happen...

No comments:

Post a Comment