Wednesday, March 19, 2014

I Was Doing What?

I know, it's been a while, and last year I said I was going to try to get back to it.  Well, things have changed that may give me the time to actually get back to it.  And I have a good one for you tonight...
I've made it very clear in many posts here that I'm not much of a speeder and tend to follow the laws of the road.  Tonight I got quite the shock and ended up getting very ticked off.  I made the 3rd to last turn before home and saw some flashing lights of a state trooper in the mirror.  Being that I do follow the rules I pulled over to let him pass but then he pulled in behind me.  Couldn't believe it but figured maybe I had a light out or something.  He walked up, stated his name, and asked if I knew why he pulled me over.  When I said I had no idea he answered with something that shocked me.  He said he saw me using my phone.

As you can guess, that kind of ticked me off.  He said that he saw me talking but noticed that I had a bluetooth headset on.  Now, I tend to talk to myself a lot when I'm driving and like many, I tend to sing when a good song is on.  Neither of which are illegal.  And even if I was using my phone to talk, it is totally legal because I am using it hands-free.  But rather then go nuts on him, I offered to show him my call log and text messages.  He looked at my call log and the most recent call was 5 days ago (no, I don't talk on the phone much).  But even if I wasn't using my headset, my phone is mounted in a car dock which would allow me to use the speakerphone, once again, totally legal.  He took my license and registration, at that point I started to get really annoyed and ready to let him know just how ticked I was.  Luckily though, I saw him in the mirror coming up without a ticket.

So, you may be asking why I'm ticked since I wasn't ticketed.  Well, for starters, I'm not even sure he can pull me over for using the phone.  If I get in an accident they can ticket me but, unless the laws have changed, he can't pull me over for that.  But the next thing is what really bothers me is that he assumed I was using my phone.  Just because I was talking doesn't mean I was using the phone!  It's legal as long as I'm not using my hands to do it!

The only thing that I can think may have triggered him to believe I was using my phone is the fact that I drive a standard.  That means I have to shift but it doesn't mean I take my eyes off the road.  Really annoying!

Anyone else have an experience like this?

No comments:

Post a Comment