Thursday, November 1, 2012

Cell Phone Theft

Tonight I've got one that is both a complaint and suggestion.  This isn't about the platform that you use (by platform I'm talking about the operating system), it is about all smartphones.  They are very expensive pieces of equipment that are easy for thieves to take and apparently sell.  So what is there to complain about?  Read on and I'll tell you.


You may not believe that I have something to complain about on this but you would obviously be wrong.  Let's begin with a suggestion that the local police department came up with.  They suggested that you should write down the serial number on the phone so that if it is stolen it would be easier for the police department to identify.  Now you know I'm all about taking some responsibility for your actions but that also applies to companies that you do business with.  In this case I'm talking about the wireless carriers.  They have all of the information about your phone so you shouldn't have to write it down.  However, I'm sure it would take an act of congress just to get it out of them.  If your phone is stolen and you report it, all carriers should be notified automatically by your carrier.  It shouldn't be up to you to do that.  I'm not saying it would hurt for you to do it but give me a break on this one.

So my suggestion deals with my opinion that you should take some responsibility.  There are many apps out there that will help you do just that.  And these apps might help you in other ways as well.  Quite often you will find these as part of virus scanner apps.  What, you aren't running an antivirus app?  I have to admit that I just started running one a few months ago more as it can't hurt then it is necessary idea.  Here are the basics of what the apps do, with a text message you can cause the phone to do several different things.  You can cause it to ring at maximum volume even if it's on silent mode (good for finding it if you lost it also), or turn on the GPS so that the phone can be tracked.  But the most important feature is the reason to consider paying for one of these.  With a specific text message you can wipe all data from the phone.  Take control of your phone.

Lastly, you need to do is install and use some backup software.  If someone does take your phone and you are forced to wipe it, you are going to want those pictures.  This is where the carriers may actually help.  Some of them actually offer backups but I'm sure there are restrictions on it's use and size.  But it is better then nothing.

So there you have it.  I'm telling you that the carriers will not help you without a court order.  Plain and simple, all they care about is their bottom line.  I can only speak to what is available on the Android platform but there are several options for it, depending on whether you choose a free one or a paid one, one that requires root (or jail breaking) or one that doesn't.  Choose one and get it installed and set up.  It may save you a lot of hassles.

No comments:

Post a Comment