Thursday, April 10, 2014

How Stupid Do They Think We Are?

Not sure about the advertising in your area but here in New York one of the fast food giants has begun advertising for a new breakfast menu.  That's not what bothers me, more choice is always good for the consumer.  What bothers me is the advertisement itself.

In case you haven't seen them yet, Taco Bell has introduced a breakfast line.  And as I said, that is a good thing for some consumers.  Not me mind you but many others I'm sure.  The issue I have is with the use of people "named" (I believe them to be actors, hence the quotes) Ronald McDonald and having them say how much they like the offerings.  Do they think that we are so stupid that we believe anyone with that name will only like food from McDonald's?  Come on!  It doesn't matter if you are the president of McDonald's, you like things other then what is offered at the restaurant.  And I just saw another tonight where Old McDonald Had a Farm was the background music.  Utterly stupid!

All of this really goes back to the same issue as the movie post from the other night.  Writers just don't have the imagination that they used to.  They tend to advertise to us as if we have no intelligence at all by using tactics like this.  The only thing these tactics do is avoid a lawsuit by the much larger restaurant chain.

No comments:

Post a Comment