Thursday, January 2, 2020

That's Just DUMB!

I've had a difficult time getting worked up enough to feel the need to post something but this topic has just done it, completely.  I don't normally have an issue finding a solution to my computer problems, but I did so I posted in a forum looking for an answer.  What's the software and what is the issue?  Hit the link and all will be revealed...

As my friends on Facebook know, I recently changed the Linux distribution I'm using in an attempt to speed up video processing with one aimed at content creation.  In doing so, I had to obviously re-install some of my applications.  A few of these connect to my Google Drive account as the data is stored there to share across devices.  When attempting to sign-in, an error comes up (pictured to the right) stating that you can't sign-in because the browser is insecure.  I searched for several hours with no results except a Google forum post started just 2 weeks before I had the issue.  And it's the exact issue I was (and still am) having, so I signed up to be able to comment and potentially receive an answer.  I've been checking in on the post a few times a day just to see if an answer has been offered and I am not surprised to be far from the last one to comment about having the same issue.  Tonight, I received an email saying that an answer was recommended so I headed right over to see what the solution was.

As you can guess by now, I was less than pleased with the suggested solution.  The answer was provided by someone named "Rupert" who is a "Gold Product Expert" in the forum.  What that label means is: "Trusted members who are knowledgeable and active contributors".  Not quite sure how you can get this level when he hasn't been a member for even a year, but whatever!  My problem is that he supposedly researched the topic to find that Google made some changes that caused some apps to be considered insecure.  Please keep in mind that several of the people on this post are attempting to sign in with Google apps!  His solution is to change the settings on your account to make it less secure so that you can connect these apps.  So his STUPID solution to Google's attempt to make things more secure is to reduce your security, that's just freaking brilliant!  If you read all the comments, you will see that he went back and forth with 1 or 2 people previously suggested they try what he eventually decided was the solution.  So we're supposed to completely ignore the fact that his solution didn't work for others and take it as THE answer?  I don't think so!

What really pushed me over the edge is that he then recommended his comment as the answer!  What's that about?  Seriously, that's like a 6 year old making up an answer to a complex math problem then awarding themselves with an A+.

I'm sure he won't like my reply, but he's shown himself to be complete a moron.

No comments:

Post a Comment