Wednesday, January 27, 2016

ESPN Slowing Women's Progress in Sports

Wasn't expecting to get a rant out of any TV viewing as I was stuck with ESPN in the waiting room while my mother in-law had back surgery.  I never knew just how little real content can be found on ESPN in the mornings.  If you missed the first three plays of Sports Center, don't worry!  There's a fourth one.  Hit the link to find out what I have an issue with...



So, I'm sitting in the waiting room and they've got ESPN on the television.  The first hour of Sports Center was interesting, seeing a lot of sporting news that I haven't seen in a long time.  I've never been huge on anything beyond the NFL and college basketball, but that doesn't mean I don't like to know a little.  Who needs to see the same show 3 times in a row?

Apparently someone at the network decided that four wasn't enough and felt another hour was necessary, but with a twist.  Apparently the channel is so desperate to attract women that they now have a Sports Center with women hosting (don't take that wrong and stop reading, I'm perfectly fine with women doing analysis and reporting on sports).  I'm not talking about having additional hosts on the show, I'm talking about an additional show with all the same highlights and commentary, just 2 women hosting rather than 2 men.  After watching the "original" with the men hosting 2+ times, I can honestly say that the comments are almost verbatim!  Seriously, if these women aren't smart enough to make their own decisions and do their own analysis why are they hosting this show?  This isn't the 1970s, many women not only know the sport but know it better than some men.  And to top that off, these women are doing this because they enjoy the sport, not just because there is a lot of money in broadcasting.  LET THEM SHOW THEIR INTELLIGENCE!

And this points out part of the reason why ESPN is fading in the sports reporting world.  The hosts are becoming less and less of an analyst or reporter and more of an actor.  There are writers building a script that they have to follow so that when it's repeated with a different set of hosts.  Just ridiculous if you ask me.  And it explains why they think they can have so many former players as hosts.

No comments:

Post a Comment